A Straight Shot of Politics

A blog from a gentleman of the Liberal political persuasion dedicated to right reason, clear thinking, cogent argument, and the public good.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Columbus, Ohio, United States

I have returned from darkness and quiet. I used to style myself as "Joe Claus", Santa Claus’ younger brother because that is what I still look like. I wrote my heart out about liberal politics until June of 2006, when all that could be said had been said. I wrote until I could write no more and I wrote what I best liked to read when I was young and hopeful: the short familiar essays in Engish and American periodicals of 50 to 100 years ago. The archetype of them were those of G.K. Chesterton, written in newspapers and gathered into numerous small books. I am ready to write them again. I am ready to write about life as seen by the impoverished, by the mentally ill, by the thirty years and more of American Buddhist converts, and by the sharp eyed people [so few now in number] with the watcher's disease, the people who watch and watch and watch. I am all of these.

Sunday, September 05, 2004

Good Grief this man is Overeducated!

I append below the titles of Dan Drezner's recommended book list, which he posted on the 10th of August:

Layna Mosley, Global Capital and National Governments (2003).
Meghan O'Sullivan, Shrewd Sanctions (2003).
Randall Stone, Lending Credibility (2002).
Robert Gilpin, War and Change in World Politics (1981).
Lloyd Gruber, Ruling the World (2000).
John Ikenberry, After Victory (2000).
Walter Russell Mead, Special Providence (2001).
John Mearsheimer, The Tragedy of Great Power Politics (2001).
Benjamin Most and Harvey Starr, Inquiry, Logic and International Relations (1989).
Samantha Power, "A Problem from Hell" (2002).
Robert Strassler, ed., The Landmark Thucydides.
Robert Gilpin, Global Political Economy (2001).
Edward M. Graham, Fighting the Wrong Enemy (2000).
Brink Lindsey, Against the Dead Hand (2002).
Virginia Postrel, The Future and Its Enemies (1998). .
Raghuram Rajan and Luigi Zingales, Saving Capitalism from the Capitalists (2003).
David Vogel, Trading Up (1995).
Joel Mokyr, The Lever of Riches (1990).
Kevin O'Rourke and Jeffrey Williamson, Globalization and History (1999).
Nathan Rosenberg and L.E. Bridzell, Jr., How the West Grew Rich (1986).
Richard Posner, Public Intellectuals: A Study of Decline.
Mark Lilla, The Reckless Mind: Intellectuals in Politics
Tony Judt, Past Imperfect: French Intellectuals, 1944-1956.
Benjamin Barber, The Truth of Power.
Nicholas Dawidoff, The Fly Swatter: How my Grandfather Made His Way in the World.
Hans Morgenthau: An Intellectual Biography.
Amy Chua, World on Fire (2002).
Samuel Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order (1996).
Fareed Zakaria, The Future of Freedom (2003).

Gosh I wish I were a young man up in the library stacks again!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home