A Straight Shot of Politics

A blog from a gentleman of the Liberal political persuasion dedicated to right reason, clear thinking, cogent argument, and the public good.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Columbus, Ohio, United States

I have returned from darkness and quiet. I used to style myself as "Joe Claus", Santa Claus’ younger brother because that is what I still look like. I wrote my heart out about liberal politics until June of 2006, when all that could be said had been said. I wrote until I could write no more and I wrote what I best liked to read when I was young and hopeful: the short familiar essays in Engish and American periodicals of 50 to 100 years ago. The archetype of them were those of G.K. Chesterton, written in newspapers and gathered into numerous small books. I am ready to write them again. I am ready to write about life as seen by the impoverished, by the mentally ill, by the thirty years and more of American Buddhist converts, and by the sharp eyed people [so few now in number] with the watcher's disease, the people who watch and watch and watch. I am all of these.

Monday, January 24, 2005

The Face You Deserve

Looking in the mirror is a primate sort of thing, like playing with things with your opposable thumbs. Despite moral strictures against vanity, however, unless you're both as young, and as good looking, as Paris Hilton, the mirror is usually a good check-up on the state of your soul as well as your body, if you know how to read what you are looking at.

Abraham Lincoln said that by forty you have the face you deserve. But his was a harder age and I would up it to fifty. I had my photgraph taken at forty, for my mother--who doated on that sort of thing, and I was probably, like my mother was at the same age, as handsome as I'll ever be. Time had softened the over-angular cheekbones and jaw of a Highland and Belfast Irish ancestry, and experience had lifted the tendency in my twenties toward over-serious frowning, and had put a skeptical and mischevious glint in my eyes.

I don't think I deserved so good a face. I didn't bother to have a picture taken at fifty. My mother had been dead two years by then, and I had already grown the bushy grey beard which partially hides both my record of moral turpitude and my expanding double chin. Why, I said to myself, mess with a good thing?

But I do keep track in the mirror, just for the record. The hairline has receeded enough to reveal the dent in my skull from the doctor's forceps at birth. When that showed up in the mirror, I finally had an explanation of why it took me two years to learn how to balance a bike, to my everlasting mortification at five years old.

The lazy left eye still flutters inward when I'm over tired. A new furrow is graven in my forehead, a redder gash from the pressurized air mask I wear for sleep apnea. The gash wouldn't be as deep if I were wearing a new mask, but this is America, where my moral failure of having a limited income from honest work deprives me of health insurance. So my old, old mask is held together with heavy gage wire and duck tape, for the duration.

The eyes still glitter mischeviously in the mirror, but there is a harder and tarter edge to them, as there is in my writing, a little more of the pugnatious Irishman and a little less of the bouncy Leprechaun, than at forty. I have seen too many of the values I cherish pushed aside in this country and been too often on the losing side in politics to have retained much in the way of innocent merriment.

Knowing, ironic, and guilty merriment I still have aplenty, however. It shows in the mirror as well as in the postage stamp picture on my ID badge. Yes, I have an ID badge. Dosen't everybody? How else can we tell ourselves from the terrorists? Of course, everyone in town has virtually the same ID badge, so we can't tell ourselves, or our employers, from each other without inspecting the thing with a magnifying glass, but it makes us feel more secure.

In any event, the sardonic chuckles are still there behind the heavy-framed, old-fashioned, large-lensed, glasses and the bushy beard; under the mop of salt-and-pepper hair; and above the boldly patterned blue sport shirt.

So there I sit in my ID, looking for all the world like an outtake from Joe Claus goes Hawaiian. I'm much the same in my mirror; a walking advertisment for one of my deepest nuggets of wisdom--Life is too short not to wear loud shirts.

Such other wisdom as I have graces these virtual pages as well as my mirror. Such other foolishness, too. I'll leave you to decide what proportion of each.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see neither wit rhyme or reason in the world and looking up at forty soon all i see is me. Five am i see my morgue face, five past a beer i see a young shaun connery, its all there a lifetime in a glass and a hangover.

6:11 PM  
Anonymous chengnuo said...

I came across a wonderful quote Randall Gould replay any fond memories of China China in the sun, the other day. Gould was a senior member of the old press corps in China before the war.
Tera Gold
RS Gold
Cheap tera gold
Cheap Tera Gold

1:23 AM  
Blogger heygames said...

So my old, old mask is held together with heavy gage wire and duck tape, for the duration. leather bags
ugg boots
buy ugg boots
cambridge satchel
ugg boots
buy ugg boots
ugg in winter

2:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To get this sort of critters you undoubtedly dog collar require being urged to assist you to certify that possibly enjoying all the presents and they are near practical fitness once review. If you've gained over one puppy, subsequent the rrs really a must as you would like make sure that the dog carrier kitties may be within the perfect luxury combined with physical health whereas you have been off. Despite the presence of individuals devoid of everyone all round, certify they are being satisfied and content such as www.lovelonglong.com you are going to have them till you go back.

4:12 AM  
Blogger summermobile said...

I don't think I deserved so good a face. I didn't bother to have a picture taken at fifty.

http://www.meizu-mx5.com/

5:40 AM  
Blogger hou said...

I had my photgraph taken at forty, for my mother--who doated on that sort of thing, and I was probably, like my mother was at the same age.
meizu m2 note review
meizu mx5 specs
xiaomi mi4i review

1:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home