A Straight Shot of Politics

A blog from a gentleman of the Liberal political persuasion dedicated to right reason, clear thinking, cogent argument, and the public good.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Columbus, Ohio, United States

I have returned from darkness and quiet. I used to style myself as "Joe Claus", Santa Claus’ younger brother because that is what I still look like. I wrote my heart out about liberal politics until June of 2006, when all that could be said had been said. I wrote until I could write no more and I wrote what I best liked to read when I was young and hopeful: the short familiar essays in Engish and American periodicals of 50 to 100 years ago. The archetype of them were those of G.K. Chesterton, written in newspapers and gathered into numerous small books. I am ready to write them again. I am ready to write about life as seen by the impoverished, by the mentally ill, by the thirty years and more of American Buddhist converts, and by the sharp eyed people [so few now in number] with the watcher's disease, the people who watch and watch and watch. I am all of these.

Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Roll Them Blogs!

I keep a small sample of blogs on my blogroll. I prefer bloggers who actually write, rather than merely parenthesize links. Of those who really write, I seek those that write both intelligently and intelligibly. And, of these, I favor those with good sense concerning what to write about. For this is what makes commenting on blog posts worthwhile.

This last is the highest and hardest standard for most blogs to meet. A number of very good blogs have dropped off my roll when the quality of their content went south. One was particularly saddening to drop--a quite well-known conservative blogger, who wrote like an angel, but abandoned significant public content after the election.

Her private content comes from a world I do not share, and am indifferent to, a common ground only of Generation X, in the particularly arid and tasteless cultural atmosphere of the Reagan Administration. No I will not name her, for she is still far too good a writer to do so in any tone of censure.

In the dance of things, my left wing blogroll has gotten a little overfull in comparison to the rest, particularly with the addition of James Woolcott. I have been searching the conservative blogosphere for balance. Recently, the Easton Jordan affair degraded conservative content disastrously into a mutual self-congratulation linkathon. So its been hard to discern just who over there might still meet my standards.

But I have been keeping an eye on several bloggers, reading them with pleasure, and will now post them to the roll: The Glittering Eye, Captain's Quarters, and Sebastian Holsclaw. Check them out for yourself. And welcome to them for passing the Joe Claus test.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home