A Straight Shot of Politics

A blog from a gentleman of the Liberal political persuasion dedicated to right reason, clear thinking, cogent argument, and the public good.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Columbus, Ohio, United States

I have returned from darkness and quiet. I used to style myself as "Joe Claus", Santa Claus’ younger brother because that is what I still look like. I wrote my heart out about liberal politics until June of 2006, when all that could be said had been said. I wrote until I could write no more and I wrote what I best liked to read when I was young and hopeful: the short familiar essays in Engish and American periodicals of 50 to 100 years ago. The archetype of them were those of G.K. Chesterton, written in newspapers and gathered into numerous small books. I am ready to write them again. I am ready to write about life as seen by the impoverished, by the mentally ill, by the thirty years and more of American Buddhist converts, and by the sharp eyed people [so few now in number] with the watcher's disease, the people who watch and watch and watch. I am all of these.

Friday, November 04, 2005

What Republican Leaders REALLY Think About the Christian Right

We all remember the "solidarity" Bill Frist and Tom DeLay showed with the Onward Christian Soldiers back during the Schiavo affair. Here, in fact, is what Tom DeLay had to say to them at the time:

"One thing that God has brought to us is Terri Schiavo, to help elevate the visibility of what is going on in America," Mr. DeLay told a conference organized by the Family Research Council, a conservative Christian group. A recording of the event was provided by the advocacy organization Americans United for Separation of Church and State. "This is exactly the issue that is going on in America, of attacks against the conservative movement, against me and against many others."

Here is what we now know what members of DeLay's money machine had to say about them behind their backs:

"The wackos get their information through the Christian right, Christian radio, mail, the internet and telephone trees," Scanlon [a former DeLay aide, now indicted--ed.] wrote in the memo, which was read into the public record at a hearing of the Senate Indian Affairs Committee. "Simply put, we want to bring out the wackos to vote against something and make sure the rest of the public lets the whole thing slip past them."

Conceal your contempt, use them, then toss them aside. Enough said?

1 Comments:

Blogger WestEnder said...

The actions of DeLay, et al are contemptible, but I think the 'wackos' are more pathetic than the politicians are contemptible. The way they just allow themselves to be so transparently exploited by others is just... well, pathetic.

10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home