A Straight Shot of Politics

A blog from a gentleman of the Liberal political persuasion dedicated to right reason, clear thinking, cogent argument, and the public good.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Columbus, Ohio, United States

I have returned from darkness and quiet. I used to style myself as "Joe Claus", Santa Claus’ younger brother because that is what I still look like. I wrote my heart out about liberal politics until June of 2006, when all that could be said had been said. I wrote until I could write no more and I wrote what I best liked to read when I was young and hopeful: the short familiar essays in Engish and American periodicals of 50 to 100 years ago. The archetype of them were those of G.K. Chesterton, written in newspapers and gathered into numerous small books. I am ready to write them again. I am ready to write about life as seen by the impoverished, by the mentally ill, by the thirty years and more of American Buddhist converts, and by the sharp eyed people [so few now in number] with the watcher's disease, the people who watch and watch and watch. I am all of these.

Thursday, January 05, 2006

What Do They Really Want?

For your consideration I have a little gem of a quotation showing the attitude of prominent Republicans toward the art of government:

"I will do everything in my power to stop anything beneficial to New Jersey, period. I will use everything I have until New Jersey lives up to their commitments," said U.S. Sen. Rick Santorum, a Pennsylvania Republican and third-ranking official in the Senate chamber. "Every single thing that benefits New Jersey in particular I will do everything I can to make sure that it gets slowed down or stopped."

This is about an interstate dispute with Pennsylvania over draining a river!!! The sheer malignity of it is incredible. This sort of thing among lawmakers started with Newt Gingrich in 1994. It continues to this day in punditry such as Ann Coulter's and Conservative blogs all over the net. But if there is one place it shouldn't be, it is in the public statements of government leaders. The point of civility in politics at the working level is to be able to come to compromise when necessary.

There is nothing more telling about the current Republican government as its willingness to burn its bridges to compromise. It is arrogant beyond belief. They are arrogant beyond belief. And they are futile, even with hefty Congressional majorities and a Republican in the White House.

Most of even their own agenda has stalled. Think about it. Stalled.

Why? They have no moral, intellectual, or emotional capacity to compromise. What do they think they have? The power of life and death over those who disagree with them?

Is is it possible that they want that? Is it possible that they want a government of one party rule just like the old Soviet Union?

3 Comments:

Blogger Joseph Marshall said...

I am not talking about a majority, nor am I talking about policy, I am talking about an attitude.

This uncivil "take no prisoners" politics is a much more recent development. I have living memories of American political life as far back as the late 1950's, and there was nothing like it then.

Even with an actual majority, the party that aspires to "rule" cannot effectively govern in this country. The Republican "accomplishments" of the last six years are laughable.

What government in history has spent so much money for so little good result? Indeed, with so little result at all, bad or good?

Where did all that "political capital" the President crowed over after his re-election get to?

American government works by compromise or it does not work at all. Period.

8:10 AM  
Blogger office said...

Thank you.I hope I can improve through learning this respect. But overall, it's very nice. Thank you for your share!
561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 office 2007 articles
571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600

11:39 PM  
Anonymous Buy Runescape Gold said...

It all looks so great!http://www.buypdjewelry.com/

8:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home