A Straight Shot of Politics

A blog from a gentleman of the Liberal political persuasion dedicated to right reason, clear thinking, cogent argument, and the public good.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Columbus, Ohio, United States

I have returned from darkness and quiet. I used to style myself as "Joe Claus", Santa Claus’ younger brother because that is what I still look like. I wrote my heart out about liberal politics until June of 2006, when all that could be said had been said. I wrote until I could write no more and I wrote what I best liked to read when I was young and hopeful: the short familiar essays in Engish and American periodicals of 50 to 100 years ago. The archetype of them were those of G.K. Chesterton, written in newspapers and gathered into numerous small books. I am ready to write them again. I am ready to write about life as seen by the impoverished, by the mentally ill, by the thirty years and more of American Buddhist converts, and by the sharp eyed people [so few now in number] with the watcher's disease, the people who watch and watch and watch. I am all of these.

Friday, February 03, 2006

Political Weariness

I have a pictorial post nearly ready to go for you. It was an idle thing, an antodyne to my weariness with politics. But Blogger just isn't cooperating at the moment and I cannot load new pictures. So I guess I'll just have to sit down and face reality. You will have to face reality, too, since I also can't get Blogger to spell check this post.

We have a gaggle of sore winners who were less committed to the Alito confirmation than they are to excoriating Democrats for voting against it or questioning Alito pointedly about it. They haven't had the good grace to even celebrate a political victory without bad mouthing the vanquished. They also are in a frenzy of the right of Danes to mock and lampoon Mohammed, and the "totalitarian" response of millions of Islamics driven into a rage over it.

They call it an issue of "free speech". It probably is. I support the Danes, too, at least very tepidly. But the free speech being exercised is licencious and corrupt. As my good Conservative and Christian friends would probably understand if it were Christ being so lampooned.

Because it involves Muslims they do not understand this now.

We have an interesting new poll commissioned by Chris Bowers over at My DD in the interests of injecting more reality into the "reality based community" by asking the questions that community could use some answers about. I will probably publish the major results here in a day or two, as well. But, as matters now stand, I am less informed by it as puzzled by it. At first glance the attitudes of the American public that it reveals are rather incoherent attitudes.

But maybe it's me that's incoherent. Today I rather feel that way.

I am also weary of politics. Just plain weary of it. Far better to read and applaud the Anchoress' fine posts on the sudden death of one of her friends, the shock of that passing, and the tradition of the wake that still subsists in her parish. Or her funny post on P.G. Wodehouse.

Far better. I am a religious Liberal, even if Buddhist, and there are days when it is more comforting, if less publically responsible, to share the piety of Conservative Christians than to criticise a politics that seems to me rather incompatible with that piety.

Far more comforting.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Cheap WOW Gold said...

it looks like you had a much more fabulous weekend than my own! ha ha, i spent it studying for finals. ughhh.
lovely blog, by the way!

Buy Runescape Gold
Buy Diablo 3 Items

2:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home