A Straight Shot of Politics

A blog from a gentleman of the Liberal political persuasion dedicated to right reason, clear thinking, cogent argument, and the public good.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Columbus, Ohio, United States

I have returned from darkness and quiet. I used to style myself as "Joe Claus", Santa Claus’ younger brother because that is what I still look like. I wrote my heart out about liberal politics until June of 2006, when all that could be said had been said. I wrote until I could write no more and I wrote what I best liked to read when I was young and hopeful: the short familiar essays in Engish and American periodicals of 50 to 100 years ago. The archetype of them were those of G.K. Chesterton, written in newspapers and gathered into numerous small books. I am ready to write them again. I am ready to write about life as seen by the impoverished, by the mentally ill, by the thirty years and more of American Buddhist converts, and by the sharp eyed people [so few now in number] with the watcher's disease, the people who watch and watch and watch. I am all of these.

Wednesday, September 22, 2004

A Horrible Thing Has Happened In My Town

A wounded soldier returning from Iraq was beaten because he was a soldier.

This must be stopped. Now. When 9/11 happened our Mayor Michael Coleman immediately stated that political reprisals against people would not be tolerated. I'm sure the incident is being investigated, but if you wish to express your concern, you may do so here and here.

Columbus is a fine town. People do not want this sort of political hooliganism here. Your voice will be heard and attended to at the above links if you want it to be.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not with the war, that american did it with the iraqi people, I see that iraqi were better from now, maybe sadam was a killer, but the american hurt the iraqi and destroed their country more than sadam did, moreover that the american stell iraqi's oil...
last word I want to say it
go out american from Iraq
that is not your land
that is not your choise
go out
go out
go out
go out
go out
go out......................

5:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

TO: Joseph Marshall
RE: Gee...

I wonder which political party the perp prefers. I'll bet he thinks of himself as "liberal".

I was discussing this sort of thing with Scott Forbes over on OHC. That thread became one of the 'disappeared', just before Donald went to ground. Then the report showed up, yesterday about an incident like you're reporting in Ohio, out in California. That soldier is going to take quite some time to mend. Probably another "liberal".

On another indicator, a small test I had proposed to Scott about political signage; putting up signs for Kerry and Bush by a sidewalk and seeing which one disappears first. I encountered someone today who told me she has to take her Bush signs in at night because they are stolen and/or vandalized all the time.

Nice people, these 'liberals'.

It's good to see someone in their ranks taking umberage at such misconduct. However, be advised, I get the distinct impression you're in the minority.

Regards,

Chuck(le)

11:05 PM  
Blogger Joseph Marshall said...

Well, Chuck, I couldn't say one way or the other here as far as being in a minority among liberals. There have been a few nasty incidents with signage, but this one was unprecedented and stunning, given Columbus' small town mores. I hope others e-mail our Mayor and our Newspaper. One thing I like about living here--we aren't blase yet about that sort of thing and it really does make a difference.

11:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

TO: Joseph Marshall
RE: An Indicator

You might not be a 'minority' amongst the 'liberals'. One indicator would be how many letters the mayor and the paper get expressing outrage at the incident you reported. Any way you could get that information from those entities?

RE: Signage Outrages

Any indications as to which signs are getting vandalized? Stats?

Regards,

Chuck(le)

12:02 PM  
Blogger Joseph Marshall said...

As far as the signs go, the local "police beat" now lists them by weekly numbers only, so many trivial incidents have been reported.

Bush/Cheney is running about 1 to 5 below Kerry/Edwards in actual signage out there (up from about 1 to 8 two weeks ago), so, intitially, the vandalisms were far higher for the Kerry/Edwards signs (Including one hoot of an incident where a local lawyer and sometime politican put his pre-teen daughter up to such vandalism while he waited in the getaway car!).

My guess now with passions running as high as they are is that the ratio of vandalisms is about the same as the signage ratio. It will probably take another 4-5 days for any Letters to the Editor to show up in that old dinosaur the Dispatch. But I'll try to keep an eye out.

10:27 AM  
Blogger Joseph Marshall said...

As far as the signs go, the local "police beat" now lists them by weekly numbers only, so many trivial incidents have been reported.

Bush/Cheney is running about 1 to 5 below Kerry/Edwards in actual signage out there (up from about 1 to 8 two weeks ago), so, intitially, the vandalisms were far higher for the Kerry/Edwards signs (Including one hoot of an incident where a local lawyer and sometime politican put his pre-teen daughter up to such vandalism while he waited in the getaway car!).

My guess now with passions running as high as they are is that the ratio of vandalisms is about the same as the signage ratio. It will probably take another 4-5 days for any Letters to the Editor to show up in that old dinosaur the Dispatch. But I'll try to keep an eye out.

10:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

TO: Joseph Marshall
RE: The Paper Prints It?

"As far as the signs go, the local "police beat" now lists them by weekly numbers only, so many trivial incidents have been reported." -- Joseph Marshall

What's their url?

Regards,

Chuck(le)

2:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home