A Straight Shot of Politics

A blog from a gentleman of the Liberal political persuasion dedicated to right reason, clear thinking, cogent argument, and the public good.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Columbus, Ohio, United States

I have returned from darkness and quiet. I used to style myself as "Joe Claus", Santa Claus’ younger brother because that is what I still look like. I wrote my heart out about liberal politics until June of 2006, when all that could be said had been said. I wrote until I could write no more and I wrote what I best liked to read when I was young and hopeful: the short familiar essays in Engish and American periodicals of 50 to 100 years ago. The archetype of them were those of G.K. Chesterton, written in newspapers and gathered into numerous small books. I am ready to write them again. I am ready to write about life as seen by the impoverished, by the mentally ill, by the thirty years and more of American Buddhist converts, and by the sharp eyed people [so few now in number] with the watcher's disease, the people who watch and watch and watch. I am all of these.

Monday, September 20, 2004

Recipe Time!

I am a Type II diabetic, who tries to control his blood sugar level through diet alone. So far, I have been able to, since I was diagnosed early. This process has altered the direction of both my cooking and eating, since the essential method of control is a sharp reduction in all starches (breads, tubers, grains, noodles), the elimination of all sweetened drinks (including juices), and the elimination of foods containing significant amounts of High Fructose Corn Syrup.

Starches are the hardest to substitute for and I typically try to take up the slack with beans and vegetables. In the process, I have created several very good dishes. James Beard was correct, a restricted diet is not a sentence to dullness. It is actually an adventure in discovering new flavors. Here is one of my favorites:

BLACK BEAN SALAD, PORK BRAISE, NACHO TOPPING, & ECT.
(a dish of all work)

One 28 oz can La Preferida Black Beans (Look for this brand in Mexican Foods--it is superior.)

One 16 oz can Yellow Hominy

One 16 oz can Medium Salsa (Try different brands! My favorite so far is Pace Fire Roasted Pepper Style.)

Optional Additions: 1 TBS Lime or Lemon Juice or 1/2 cup fresh minced cilantro.

Combine all ingredients. Chill.

This is keeps well and is worth making in quantity. You can eat it cold as a bean salad. You can slow cook pork in it (4-6 hours in a crock pot or a slow to medium oven). You can spread it over a plate of tortilla chips or a flour tortilla, top it with sharp cheddar cheese, and run it under the broiler or zap it in the microwave.

Or you can think up some new, fun thing to do with it on your own.

Viva La Raza!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

TO: Joseph Marshall
RE: Didn't Know...

"Viva La Raza!" -- Joseph Marshall

...you were a latent racist, Joe.

'Raza' translates from Spanish to English as 'race', as in 'breed.

Recipe sounds good though.

For salsa, I prefer Ortega's Garden Style. But it is hard to find.

Ever try red beans? You don't need rice. It's a meal in itself. Made up a batch for a block party last week.

Regards,

Chuck(le)

5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home