A Straight Shot of Politics

A blog from a gentleman of the Liberal political persuasion dedicated to right reason, clear thinking, cogent argument, and the public good.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Columbus, Ohio, United States

I have returned from darkness and quiet. I used to style myself as "Joe Claus", Santa Claus’ younger brother because that is what I still look like. I wrote my heart out about liberal politics until June of 2006, when all that could be said had been said. I wrote until I could write no more and I wrote what I best liked to read when I was young and hopeful: the short familiar essays in Engish and American periodicals of 50 to 100 years ago. The archetype of them were those of G.K. Chesterton, written in newspapers and gathered into numerous small books. I am ready to write them again. I am ready to write about life as seen by the impoverished, by the mentally ill, by the thirty years and more of American Buddhist converts, and by the sharp eyed people [so few now in number] with the watcher's disease, the people who watch and watch and watch. I am all of these.

Sunday, October 03, 2004

How We Went To War Because We Wanted To

Be a well-informed citizen. Read it. Read all of it. Read all fifteen pages of it. Read every appalling refusal to weigh the objective merits of the claims for Saddam Hussein's "nuclear progress" and see the unequivocal reason why the current Administration should be booted out of power:

"How the White House Embraced Disputed Arms Intelligence
By DAVID BARSTOW
Published: October 3, 2004

This article was reported by David Barstow, William J. Broad and Jeff Gerth, and was written by Mr. Barstow.

In 2002, at a crucial juncture on the path to war, senior members of the Bush administration gave a series of speeches and interviews in which they asserted that Saddam Hussein was rebuilding his nuclear weapons program. Speaking to a group of Wyoming Republicans in September, Vice President Dick Cheney said the United States now had "irrefutable evidence" - thousands of tubes made of high-strength aluminum, tubes that the Bush administration said were destined for clandestine Iraqi uranium centrifuges, before some were seized at the behest of the United States...."

"Irrefutable evidence" for a program that wasn't there. "Irrefutable evidence" that was massively disputed within our own intellegence community. "Irrefutable evidence" which no one, not even our closest allies in Britain, believed.

The story of this arrogant rush to war is utterly incredible.

Linked to: "Beltway Traffic Jam"

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

TO: Joseph Marshall
RE: Okay...

....maybe YOU can explain where Syria got those chemical (WMD) weapons they've apparently been using in Darfur.

I'd greatly appreciate it, as no one, to date, has been able to answer the question. Someone had proposed that they had a WMD program all their own, but for some strange reason, they have not, yet, provided any evidence of such a program's existance; no mention in Bush's SOTU address, no mention by the UN, no mention by anyone before the last 12 months.

Maybe YOU can provide the evidence.

Otherwise, I suspect they got such WMDs from their kissing-cousins in Iraq.

Regards,

Chuck(le)

9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home