A Straight Shot of Politics

A blog from a gentleman of the Liberal political persuasion dedicated to right reason, clear thinking, cogent argument, and the public good.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Columbus, Ohio, United States

I have returned from darkness and quiet. I used to style myself as "Joe Claus", Santa Claus’ younger brother because that is what I still look like. I wrote my heart out about liberal politics until June of 2006, when all that could be said had been said. I wrote until I could write no more and I wrote what I best liked to read when I was young and hopeful: the short familiar essays in Engish and American periodicals of 50 to 100 years ago. The archetype of them were those of G.K. Chesterton, written in newspapers and gathered into numerous small books. I am ready to write them again. I am ready to write about life as seen by the impoverished, by the mentally ill, by the thirty years and more of American Buddhist converts, and by the sharp eyed people [so few now in number] with the watcher's disease, the people who watch and watch and watch. I am all of these.

Monday, February 28, 2005

What is so Well Done as a Day in March?

March 1st here looks to be done so exceeding brown roast partridge is nothing to it; plenty of snow, steadily falling and accumulating. Snow is so quiet, and makes everything else so quiet. It is wonderful to be out in, not the least of reasons being that everybody else who doesn't have to be out in it, generally stays in.

The heavy falls in my region generally come in from the Southeast, just like the hurricane rains. The front line funnels up the moisture from the Gulf of Mexico and makes utterly sodden low hanging clouds, first of rain, then of sleet and freezing rain, then of snow, as the front slowly pushes through, fighting the prevailing westerly winds.

When the Alberta Clippers blow in from the Northwest, the snow is dryer, usually drawn up from the Great Lakes, the accumulation less, and the cold slams through hard, like a fast freight.

Sometimes both hit at once and the result can be a doozy--lots of accumulation and bitter cold--the storm is still uncertain, but exactly this might be coming our way. If so, people will be really holing up--Level Emergencies, school closings, and so forth.

I'm looking forward to it. I love weather. Two of the places I've been happiest are on our seacoasts--either the Atlantic, with the constantly growling undertow on its rocky bottom, or the Pacific, with its smooth, drumlike rolls, loud in storms, soft in calms, but even and smooth in all cases. Weather is movement of air, genuine fluctuations of air pressure, and variety in winds. Columbus seldom has weather, Columbus has climate.

In fact, Columbus has climate in the way that some people have attitude. Actually it has climate the way some people have an attitude problem. We have stagnant air inversions, even in the Winter, for heaven's sake! Despite regular visits by the Alberta Clippers! I need more weather, and so does my town.

Maybe they could bottle me some weather. Wait a minute, this is America! Maybe I should bottle it, sell it, and make myself Big Bucks. And get the economy moving in consequence.

That sounds like a plan. Since you have a little extra cash from the President's tax cuts, and you soon will have private Social Security accounts to invest, can you, by any chance, float me some venture capital?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

new home development in california
Information => new home development in california

6:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a gold charm holder site. It pretty much covers ##KEYWORD## related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

3:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great information on your site folks. I also am working on a mortgage broker bad credit florida site. I'll bookmark yours if you bookmark mine. You can find it at mortgage broker bad credit florida.
Again, nice site folks...I'll be baak...:)

6:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This site has a lot of information pertaining to my interests herbal diet pill . I will definitely bookmark this page and be back later. If you get a chance, please check out my herbal diet pill site. We so have something in common. Check ya later...

8:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi I just wanted to send a quick note to let you know I really enjoyed

3:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi I just wanted to send a quick note to let you know I really enjoyed

6:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Came here searching for home improvement loan uk cause i need a home improvement loan uk

Best ive found so far is

home improvement loan uk

Nice blog on loans in the UK good for home improvement loan uk

5:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home