A Straight Shot of Politics

A blog from a gentleman of the Liberal political persuasion dedicated to right reason, clear thinking, cogent argument, and the public good.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Columbus, Ohio, United States

I have returned from darkness and quiet. I used to style myself as "Joe Claus", Santa Claus’ younger brother because that is what I still look like. I wrote my heart out about liberal politics until June of 2006, when all that could be said had been said. I wrote until I could write no more and I wrote what I best liked to read when I was young and hopeful: the short familiar essays in Engish and American periodicals of 50 to 100 years ago. The archetype of them were those of G.K. Chesterton, written in newspapers and gathered into numerous small books. I am ready to write them again. I am ready to write about life as seen by the impoverished, by the mentally ill, by the thirty years and more of American Buddhist converts, and by the sharp eyed people [so few now in number] with the watcher's disease, the people who watch and watch and watch. I am all of these.

Monday, February 28, 2005

What is so Well Done as a Day in March?

March 1st here looks to be done so exceeding brown roast partridge is nothing to it; plenty of snow, steadily falling and accumulating. Snow is so quiet, and makes everything else so quiet. It is wonderful to be out in, not the least of reasons being that everybody else who doesn't have to be out in it, generally stays in.

The heavy falls in my region generally come in from the Southeast, just like the hurricane rains. The front line funnels up the moisture from the Gulf of Mexico and makes utterly sodden low hanging clouds, first of rain, then of sleet and freezing rain, then of snow, as the front slowly pushes through, fighting the prevailing westerly winds.

When the Alberta Clippers blow in from the Northwest, the snow is dryer, usually drawn up from the Great Lakes, the accumulation less, and the cold slams through hard, like a fast freight.

Sometimes both hit at once and the result can be a doozy--lots of accumulation and bitter cold--the storm is still uncertain, but exactly this might be coming our way. If so, people will be really holing up--Level Emergencies, school closings, and so forth.

I'm looking forward to it. I love weather. Two of the places I've been happiest are on our seacoasts--either the Atlantic, with the constantly growling undertow on its rocky bottom, or the Pacific, with its smooth, drumlike rolls, loud in storms, soft in calms, but even and smooth in all cases. Weather is movement of air, genuine fluctuations of air pressure, and variety in winds. Columbus seldom has weather, Columbus has climate.

In fact, Columbus has climate in the way that some people have attitude. Actually it has climate the way some people have an attitude problem. We have stagnant air inversions, even in the Winter, for heaven's sake! Despite regular visits by the Alberta Clippers! I need more weather, and so does my town.

Maybe they could bottle me some weather. Wait a minute, this is America! Maybe I should bottle it, sell it, and make myself Big Bucks. And get the economy moving in consequence.

That sounds like a plan. Since you have a little extra cash from the President's tax cuts, and you soon will have private Social Security accounts to invest, can you, by any chance, float me some venture capital?

41 Comments:

Blogger jon said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:31 PM  
Blogger TS said...

Nice Blog!!!   I thought I'd tell you about a site that will let give you places where
you can make extra cash! I made over $800 last month. Not bad for not doing much. Just put in your
zip code and up will pop up a list of places that are available. I live in a small area and found quite
a few. MAKE MONEY NOW

1:03 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a Swimming Pool Chemicals site
It pretty much covers
Swimming Pool Chemicals related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)non chlorine swimming pool chemicalnon chlorine swimming pool chemical

8:48 PM  
Blogger jon said...

After we paid for our kids north east summer camp we found it tough to recover! I totally agree with you!

3:33 AM  
Blogger swissred said...

I'm an adware expert, owner of a ad adware download free resource. I'm happy bloggers like you are starting to cover this hot topic. Feel free to get any info from my website for your blog!

1:11 PM  
Blogger Online Incomes said...

Hey I just love your blog. I also have a lesbian dating
blog/site. I mostly deals with lesbian dating
Please come and check it out if you get the time!

4:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

new home development in california
Information => new home development in california

6:23 PM  
Blogger jiri said...

Cool Blog, I never really thought about it that way.

I have a Hurricane Katrina blog. It pretty much covers hurricane related stuff.

Thank you - and keep up the thoughts!

11:49 PM  
Blogger Get-A-Free-House said...

How would you like to own a custom-built house at a 42% to 100% discount? Find out how today by visiting Get-A-Free-House.com

4:13 AM  
Blogger Funclub said...

Nice blog I have one myself great idea betting exchange learn

7:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, I just wanted to post a comment on how well you have put your Blog together. I was doing a search for washington dc permanent laser hair removal and came across your Blog. I personally run my own Blog for washington dc permanent laser hair removal so I know a good Blog when I see one.

10:19 AM  
Blogger Quit Smoking said...

Hi, I was looking around some blogger blogs for some ideas to start my own on ebooks and you have given me some great ideas. Good blog. I will check it out every week. Thanks

11:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am hoping you will share your story.
operation kindness texas

4:36 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a Chlorine granules site
It pretty much covers
Chlorine granules and Swimming Pool Chemicals related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

12:51 PM  
Blogger Jack Naka said...

Your blog is excellent - keep it up! Don't miss visiting this site about fashion bug. It pretty much covers fashion bug related stuff.

3:01 AM  
Blogger Christian said...

Really great blog! I noticed a mention about rheumatoid arthritis . I thought you might be interested to hear that both my parents and several of their friends have had problems with arthritis and we have been very lucky to have come across Bioflow. They are sold at rheumatoid arthritis and they have been worth every penny. They don't seem to work for everyone but they have helped reduce the pain in my parents arthritis so that they almost don't notice it any longer. They'd still be taking painkillers if it wasn't for wearing a Bioflow on their wrist

7:23 AM  
Blogger Tom Naka said...

Your blog is excellent - keep it up! Don't miss visiting this site about business health insurance pennsylvania small
. It pretty much covers business health insurance pennsylvania small
related stuff.

3:38 PM  
Blogger Online Incomes said...

Nice blog, keep up the good work!
I have a blog/site toohome equity loan line of credit
It's a free information site on on home equity loans and refinancing. It can help you save money if you are in the market for a loan.
You should check it out if you have the time :-)

10:01 AM  
Blogger Jim Naka said...

Help! I am lost. I was searching for kid toy and somehow ended up here. How that happened I don't know, however I do like your Blog a lot. Would you mind if I add your Blog to my favorites page so others can visit?

1:17 AM  
Blogger Ray said...

You've got a very informative blog.

I've gotten some good information here, so I've bookmarked your blog and will return often for the latest. If you have time, check out my diego mortgage reverse san site.

Thanks and all the best in the future.

Bob

3:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great information on your site folks. I also am working on a credit credit credit free repair report report safecreditsecrets.com site. I'll bookmark yours if you bookmark mine. You can find it at credit credit credit free repair report report safecreditsecrets.com.
Again, nice site folks...I'll be baak...:)

8:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here!

I have a free pc repair download site. It pretty much covers ##PC Repair## related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time.

11:49 PM  
Blogger Ray said...

You gotta good blog going on.

Keep it going on, cuz it's good stuff.

Check out my mortgage reverse wisconsin resource site. If you have any ideas for making it a better site, let me know.

Also, like so many others, I’ve posted a link to the Red Cross at my site.

Thanks and all the best for you,

James

1:43 AM  
Blogger St Louis Cardinals BUFF said...

So many blogs and only 10 numbers to rate them. I'll have to give you a 9 because you have a quailty topic.

Free Access To More Information Aboutprevention

11:44 AM  
Blogger tom naka said...

Nice blog. Please check out my restaurant depot site. It is all about restaurant depot informations.

12:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a gold charm holder site. It pretty much covers ##KEYWORD## related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

3:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great information on your site folks. I also am working on a mortgage broker bad credit florida site. I'll bookmark yours if you bookmark mine. You can find it at mortgage broker bad credit florida.
Again, nice site folks...I'll be baak...:)

6:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This site has a lot of information pertaining to my interests herbal diet pill . I will definitely bookmark this page and be back later. If you get a chance, please check out my herbal diet pill site. We so have something in common. Check ya later...

8:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi I just wanted to send a quick note to let you know I really enjoyed

3:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi I just wanted to send a quick note to let you know I really enjoyed

6:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

**big and tall**

8:11 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

Great blog, keep up the good work. Glad to see sites like this.

Here is another good site I said I would pass along.
Las Vegas Vacations
Thanks

6:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Came here searching for home improvement loan uk cause i need a home improvement loan uk

Best ive found so far is

home improvement loan uk

Nice blog on loans in the UK good for home improvement loan uk

5:41 PM  
Blogger Beach Raceway said...

your Blog Site and it is related to the keyword SLOT CAR just like my

9:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Came here searching for bad credit loan personal uk cause i need a bad credit loan personal uk

Best ive found so far is

bad credit loan personal uk

Nice blog on loans in the UK good for bad credit loan personal uk

11:12 PM  
Blogger Adult Personals said...

hey i got here searching for bad credit easy personnel loan

You have such a high ranking for that
Top 3 for bad credit easy personnel loan

bad credit easy personnel loan

10:29 AM  
Blogger Bloggy said...

I really liked your page and it is related to gold wrist watch w0qqa10244zq2d24qqa39zq2d24qqa44zq2d24qqa60zq2d24qqalistza60q2ca39q2ca10244q2ca44q2ca3801qqcatrefzc3qqcatrefz, until next time!

6:01 AM  
Blogger Johnjon said...

Wow, I really like this one. I have a website that talks mostly about bankruptcy credit repair You should check it out sometime.

9:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

website design bathurst I found your site looking for california web site design and thought I'd just say Hi.

10:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This site may be of interest to you. I just searched Mickey Mouse and works great

The site *eBay misspelled auction search site. It pretty much covers misspelled auction info and can really save a bundle using this.

Great deals

3:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a christmas gift site/blog. It pretty much covers gift ideas for christmas related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

9:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home