A Straight Shot of Politics

A blog from a gentleman of the Liberal political persuasion dedicated to right reason, clear thinking, cogent argument, and the public good.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Columbus, Ohio, United States

I have returned from darkness and quiet. I used to style myself as "Joe Claus", Santa Claus’ younger brother because that is what I still look like. I wrote my heart out about liberal politics until June of 2006, when all that could be said had been said. I wrote until I could write no more and I wrote what I best liked to read when I was young and hopeful: the short familiar essays in Engish and American periodicals of 50 to 100 years ago. The archetype of them were those of G.K. Chesterton, written in newspapers and gathered into numerous small books. I am ready to write them again. I am ready to write about life as seen by the impoverished, by the mentally ill, by the thirty years and more of American Buddhist converts, and by the sharp eyed people [so few now in number] with the watcher's disease, the people who watch and watch and watch. I am all of these.

Thursday, November 10, 2005

Updating The Perp Walk

It seems that in the breathless space of the election and my suddenly (for three days) full-time job, a few choice tidbits on the powerful, the corrupt, and the lawless have passed me by.

First for your consideration, a new face to be investigated, Elizabeth Dole R-NC, Senate wingnut in charge of Republican fundraising, for illegal corporate contributions (31 of them so far) to her 2002 campaign. [Thanks to Think Progress]

Next, we have some more from the stern, grim, and stonefaced Prosecutor Fitzgerald of the Plame Leak Investigation. An old face is coming back to do some more testifying, Karl Rove's Chief of Staff, Susan Ralston. You can stop celebrating your escape from indictment now, Karl. [Hats off to emmajoe of Booman Tribune, who found this little tidbit all the way out in the Phillipines!]

Then there's the ROFLMAO antics of Bill Frist. His little ploy to call for an investigation of the CIA camps leak to the Washington Post blew up in his face when Trent Lott revealed that the leaker was almost certainly a Republican legislator at a briefing from Dick Cheney! You have too much of your mind on the investigation of you by the SEC, Bill. [Tim F. at Balloon Juice, with delicious details at The Carpetbagger Report]

Finally, the crowning glory! A new report to the UN on "extraordinary rendition," or the outsourcing of torture for terrorist suspects and a fine article detailing why this is "crime against humanity" and why everyone from George W. Bush and Dick Cheney all the way down to the lowest lawyer in any agency involved are criminally culpable for such crimes. [Check out Overseas at Kos and give your regards and mine to World Institute For Asian Studies for putting it out there]

Now let's all go get another latte at Starbuck's to celebrate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home