A Straight Shot of Politics

A blog from a gentleman of the Liberal political persuasion dedicated to right reason, clear thinking, cogent argument, and the public good.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Columbus, Ohio, United States

I have returned from darkness and quiet. I used to style myself as "Joe Claus", Santa Claus’ younger brother because that is what I still look like. I wrote my heart out about liberal politics until June of 2006, when all that could be said had been said. I wrote until I could write no more and I wrote what I best liked to read when I was young and hopeful: the short familiar essays in Engish and American periodicals of 50 to 100 years ago. The archetype of them were those of G.K. Chesterton, written in newspapers and gathered into numerous small books. I am ready to write them again. I am ready to write about life as seen by the impoverished, by the mentally ill, by the thirty years and more of American Buddhist converts, and by the sharp eyed people [so few now in number] with the watcher's disease, the people who watch and watch and watch. I am all of these.

Monday, May 29, 2006

Seeking The Death Practice

Sometime back I wrote that the state of our country and the world so discouraged me that, when and if it ever was offered, I would seek to learn the Buddhist practice of learning how to die carefully, deliberately, and consciously.

The opportunity has arisen and I am preparing to go when June commences. I am over 50 and I have never cared much for material goods beyond immediate need or temporary amusement. I have always been, in fact, like some ronin, or masterless Samauri, wandering aimlessly, living sparely, for temporary hire, and only occupied with keeping a couple of swords clean and sharp.

In addition, the three or four genuine ambitions of my youth and maturity, have either been fulfilled, or proved fruitless, and were, in any case, no more permanent or important than material goods to me. I can legitimately write three letters after my name, if I so choose, and could parade around like "Doctor Phil" on Oprah Winfrey. But I was educated in a field where modesty about scholarly accomplishment is highly prized, and the greatest and most famous of us relished the plain title of "student" more than any other. Besides, what would be the point?

Finally, all of my near blood kin are dead. I keep a picture or two, for remembrance sake, as well as the flag the Government provided for my father's coffin, but little else is left. Only Mrs. Claus, really. She is far sicker than I am and thus likely to leave sooner.

So why should I not seek the death practice? What gift is greater than being able to say, "Let death come when and where it will. I now know how to do it properly."?

Of course, once you are taught the death practice, you need to actually practice it regularly to do it properly, rehearsing the inner steps over and over every day. And, at the end of every rehersal, as with all Buddhist practice, you should dedicate the merit accumulated for the final enlightenment of all. It is these things which create the conditions where you actually will be able to use it when the time comes.

As anyone who has been reading regularly will know, I have been slowly becoming more and more convinced that the political character of this blog is futile. Few, if any, minds will be changed; the bad things happening already have enough momentum to continue unless stopped very soon; and the good things that could happen will be readily blocked by my adversaries, since there are enough of them to do at least this no matter what else happens.

My intuition, my Buddhist study, and my plain common sense tells me that most of the men and women I encounter, in either the virtual or the literal world, are headed toward a very bad place in the short term. For they are squandering the immense accumulation of karmic merit that is required for a human birth. They are leading a life largely indifferent to fundamental things, moral merely from habit and not conscious choice when moral at all, and evading always the reality of the approach of their own death. Moreover, the rich and the powerful among us not only largely squander even more meritorious accumulation--the cause of the riches and the power--from past lives of conscious and moral living. They fairly frequently commit great immoral actions and crimes that will mature into unendurable suffering in a large number of their future lives.

They need all the merit dedicated to their ulitmate enlightenment that they can get.

So, at least for me, doing the death practice will be the best of both worlds. I will no longer have to delay my death in a world gone intransigent and insane, and I will, as well, be doing just about the only real good I can do for it, under the circumstances.

When I come back in mid-June I will sincerely wish and hope to live long and practice what I have been taught until it becomes second nature. Then it will largely happen automatically at death, if I can die with full consciousness.

That will be a death worth having, leading to a future that is simply beyond words.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Today, you have a chance

To make it possible for every citizen

To have their vote counted

throughout the

United States of America



How can you do that? By supporting Clint Curtis in his bid for Congress against Tom Feeney.

How does that affect you?



Clint Curtis is a computer geek who knows how easy it is to manipulate your vote because he

was asked by Congressman Tom Feeney to create such a prototype in October 2000. And the

rest is history.



It is all about YOUR VOTE actually getting counted.



This is your chance to make a difference in America. Stand up with Clint for Democracy.

Stand up and be counted. Go to www.clintcurtis.com to be a part of this historic race,

so you can wake up Sept 6th and know that YOU made a difference in America. You helped to

make sure that everyone's vote is counted once again.

7:13 PM  
Blogger DonationTree said...

That's one hell of a long article...


-------------------------
political forum

6:58 PM  
Blogger tizzle said...

Barack Obama may be against the war, but at the same time, he supports creating a path to citizenship for illegal immigrants as do most 2008 Presidential Candidates. Is that fair? Is that safe? Is that good for the economy? Apart from Mitt Romney almost all candidates are supporting creating a path for citizenship for illegal immigrants. My question is what happens to the legal foreigners here on different visas? They are applying for a green card and have to wait 8-10 years before they get it while they could quite simply cross the border and cross back illegally and get citizenship if this bill is passed. Are these politicians crazy? What’s wrong with the 2008 Presidential Candidates? Can’t they hear the voice of the people any more? I looked and researched and did a 2008 Presidential Candidates comparison and to tell you the truth, I don’t know who to vote for. While Barack Obama is the most charismatic, Hillary Clinton seems to be the stronger of the two. Then there are the Republicans who have simply lost my faith after Bush. So in the end, we are stuck. No matter what happens, the American public is going to be in trouble one way or another.

12:08 PM  
Blogger office said...

Thank you.I hope I can improve through learning this respect. But overall, it's very nice. Thank you for your share!
Office 2007 Key 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530Windows 7
531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540

10:20 PM  
Anonymous WOW Gold said...

buy eden gold
eden gold
cheap eden goldeliminate bad mood and bring joy to others. Most people who understand the humor are physically and mentally healthy.

1:32 AM  
Blogger Tera Gold Cheap said...

Cleanup enemies along with completing quests is exactly what WOW Gold first-timers connected with Bargain Tera Amber that do not have any especial(a) destroys choose to begin with. Ever since the World of Warcraft is especially immense, people will need to obtain great places at which they will get more Riot gilded. The easiest ways instructor can may be to husbandry RS GoldScream gilded.You can choose the unlike location to take a crap Sidesplitter gilt as reported by your current characters's attributes. With plenty of aureate you may buy the guns,gadgets as well as as well belongings you cherished.If you're a Hunting watch you'll probably World Of Warcraft Gold try a Punk Urs Aureate land owner's manual for invite practicing your canine friend to advance them faster.

3:39 AM  
Anonymous cambridge satchels said...

Many women are the friends all like to buy Cambridge Satchels, the girls have to wear full of urban sense of fashion, than simple and the same plot and the plot of a slow tempo wonderful one hundred times. See more, how much can the paper summarizes some Korean girls have to dress features: implicative and elegant, bright but not dazzling. In the colour of gentle and lovely or or a, cream-colored is the colour of the United States eyebrow fashion commonly used.

Cambridge Satchel get dressed in the play of incisively and vividly, must fully understand the characteristics of the color. Properly applied colors of two kinds of perception, not only can be fixed, conceal figure is insufficient, and can emphasize highlight your advantages.

12:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometime back onceCheap WOW Gold again I authored that this point out of our country too as world so discouraged me that, when and if it at any time was offered, i'd find to uncover the Buddhist training of finding out methods to pass away Cheap Runescape Goldcarefully, deliberately, and consciously.

2:32 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Using this method, you can obtain a genuine photo strategies machine tattoos it's going to look providing you, and you will probably feel beach front all set and also satisfied. Plus, but the nasty lights inside of dressing area might leather shoes for men wash you out of trouble, hence allowing yourself suitable glow can balance out this specific result.

11:05 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nice post! Can’t wait for the next one. Keep stuff like this coming.

Asus - 15.6" Laptop - 4GB Memory - 500GB Hard Drive - Mood Indigo

Asus - 15.6" Notebook 4 GB Memory - 500 GB Hard Drive - Mocha (K53E-DH31)

6:19 AM  
Blogger hou said...

I hope I can improve through learning this respect. But overall, it's very nice. Thank you for your share!
meizu
xiaomi mi4i
xiaomi redmi note 2

5:45 AM  
Blogger Drag Racer V3 said...

I like it so much pianotiles2.com

6:08 AM  
Blogger judo said...

Really good information here, Thanks. but you can also share.
Highest Minimum Wage In Africa
Lowest Minimum Wage In Africa
Highest Minimum Wage In Africa
List of Minimum Wage in African Countries
Minimum Wage in African Countries
minimum wage by country
here

8:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home