A Straight Shot of Politics

A blog from a gentleman of the Liberal political persuasion dedicated to right reason, clear thinking, cogent argument, and the public good.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Columbus, Ohio, United States

I have returned from darkness and quiet. I used to style myself as "Joe Claus", Santa Claus’ younger brother because that is what I still look like. I wrote my heart out about liberal politics until June of 2006, when all that could be said had been said. I wrote until I could write no more and I wrote what I best liked to read when I was young and hopeful: the short familiar essays in Engish and American periodicals of 50 to 100 years ago. The archetype of them were those of G.K. Chesterton, written in newspapers and gathered into numerous small books. I am ready to write them again. I am ready to write about life as seen by the impoverished, by the mentally ill, by the thirty years and more of American Buddhist converts, and by the sharp eyed people [so few now in number] with the watcher's disease, the people who watch and watch and watch. I am all of these.

Tuesday, September 14, 2004

This is WHY we need Universal Health Insurance

Asia Faces Bird Flu Crisis of Unprecedented Scale

Tue Sep 14, 2004 07:01 AM ET

"SHANGHAI (Reuters) - Asia faces an outbreak of unprecedented proportions as it grapples with avian influenza, which the World Health Organization warns could develop into a pandemic unless detection and prevention methods are improved.

"Health officials from across the region raised alarm bells Tuesday over bird flu, which WHO officials said had claimed 28 lives in the region. They argued that increased collaboration between countries and more study was needed to combat the virus, which resurfaced in July in Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Vietnam and China and dampened Asian demand for grain.

"This outbreak is historically unprecedented. Its infectious agents don't respect international boundaries," Shigeru Omi, regional director for the WHO's Western Pacific Region, told member-state delegates gathered in Shanghai."

Precisely. There is absolutely no reason why it could not show up on the next flight into LAX. We have 45 MILLION people in this country who have no health insurance, or about 1 out of 6 of us.

When you have no health insurance, you delay care. When you are contagious and delay care you pass your disease to far more people. When you are uninsured, contagous, delay care, and are at death's door you go to the local emergency room. When you are the local emergency room, you cannot possibly handle 1 in every 6 people in your community. So an Asian flu pandemic puts the entire health care system in danger of collapse.

There it is. All in simple declarative sentences. Why do so many of my fellow Americans fail to comprehend them?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are just making up shit as you go along to get to the answer you want. As your fellow American I comprehend that.

10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home