A Straight Shot of Politics

A blog from a gentleman of the Liberal political persuasion dedicated to right reason, clear thinking, cogent argument, and the public good.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Columbus, Ohio, United States

I have returned from darkness and quiet. I used to style myself as "Joe Claus", Santa Claus’ younger brother because that is what I still look like. I wrote my heart out about liberal politics until June of 2006, when all that could be said had been said. I wrote until I could write no more and I wrote what I best liked to read when I was young and hopeful: the short familiar essays in Engish and American periodicals of 50 to 100 years ago. The archetype of them were those of G.K. Chesterton, written in newspapers and gathered into numerous small books. I am ready to write them again. I am ready to write about life as seen by the impoverished, by the mentally ill, by the thirty years and more of American Buddhist converts, and by the sharp eyed people [so few now in number] with the watcher's disease, the people who watch and watch and watch. I am all of these.

Wednesday, September 15, 2004

What I Think a Majority of Us Really Want

Yes, "what a majority of us really want" is what I really want, but it's obviously not ALL I really want. We'll save the rest of what I really want for later.

A majority of us really want to defeat Islamic based terrorism and effectively protect ourselves from ANY terrorism. And a majority of us want to keep our freedoms doing it.

(As both a liberal and a Democrat, by the way, I think the constant assertion or insinuation that we do NOT want terrorism defeated by members of the Other Party is a scabrous piece of personally insulting partisan Buncombe.)

A majority of us really want a level economic playing field where EVERYBODY can do better for themselves, if they wish to do better, or at least maintain themselves if they are not interested in doing better, or not able to do better.

A majority of us also believe that this level playing field does NOT happen by magic and that it is the responsibility of Government to make it level and keep it level.

A majority of us really wish to make war ONLY when needed, for reasons which do not prove to be a bunch of hot air, and for reasons which reasonable people everywhere recognize as morally just.

A majority of us really wish to make war EFFECTIVELY, when we must make war, and do not wish to be fed pablum that "things are going well" when they are really not going very well at all.

A majority of us, thank heavens, really think that war must be waged morally, no matter who the enemy is and that immoral actions by our enemies do not justify immoral actions by ourselves.

A majority of us really wish to take proper care of those who have sacrificed for us by being soldiers, not making them extend that sacrifice beyond the battlefield, when the war has come to an end for them, nor making that sacrifice extend to their families while the war is being fought--our Veterans deserve our best not our neglect.

A majority of us really wish the world to choose our values voluntarily, rather than through our coercion, because freedom under law and voluntary choice within the law are the POINT of our values.


So how do we stand in this election year on achieving what a majority of us really want?

I have started to document here and here how George W. Bush has consistently failed to do these very things. I will continue to do so. So stay tuned.

It is also clear that John Kerry may succeed in doing some of these things, but ONLY if he really works at it, really keeps his mind on it, really succeeds in governing with the cooperation of the intelligent and responsible members of both parties, and cultivates the goodwill of our international friends.

Yes, we do have some of both.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home